19 December 2010

The prodigal returns (again)...

Today was the last day of a very much-needed vacation. It was a very lazy day for me. I probably should have been less lazy and more productive, though, based on the lack of headway I have made in preparing for Christmas. But what is life for me without a little last-minute errand-running? I don't think I am cut out for advanced shopping and preplanning when it comes to presents. I will be the first to spill the beans on a gift I have for you if I have it for over a day or two prior to giving it. It's like the telltale heart for me. I MUST get it out of the floorboards!

So I didn't shop. I didn't really DO much of anything, truthfully. But while indulging in a lot of nothing, I actually indulged in a lot of thinking. This is medicine for me. And today had me thinking about my need for a creative outlet. I have as much as abandoned that in recent months. Although circumstances made for things to become a bit consuming at work, I know I am as much a creator of my circumstances as I am affected by them.
So...I gave up on the blog project. And the blogging in general. And approximately 20 something other activities and outlets I have had in my life to balance my work me with my personal me. I definitely failed to observe boundaries- (I'm beginning to despise the word).
But let's not dwell on that, shall we? I prefer not to concentrate on the failure. In fact, my newest favorite quotation is this:

"You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "
-Mary Pickford

...and with that, I say, bring on the new! I'm standing up!
So my new project is not to blog daily. Or to blog with any predictable degree of regularity. And really I'd rather not call it a project at all.
Rather, it is to carve time for me. To devote time to the things that feed me outside of work and daily "stuff." This means writing.
And photography.
And reading.
And music.
Oh, I can feel the joy bubbling up as I type! And with any success, I'll be writing a little more than once every year and a half.



(No guarantees. I know my track record.)

No comments: